Sunday, June 01, 2008

Global Energy Crisis Effects Modern Medicine

Rixa, at the True Face of Birth left the following post on her blog:

I've been enjoying Sharon Astyk's discussions on the potential effects of the global energy crisis on modern medicine and health care. She has recently published two excerpts from her new book, Depletion and Abundance, on her blog.

Public Health and Welfare Part I
Public Health And Welfare Part II

What are your thoughts?

I left the following comment:

A few weeks ago I was introduced to the "peak oil" term and its affect on birth at MidwiferyIsCatching.blogsome.com. (see my "Birthing Without Technology" post.)

I totally believe that there may be rough times ahead and that medicine and medical assistance could be impaired, among other difficulties.

This is why I started my emergencychildbirth blog, why we moved to the country and are planting large gardens and have chickens, etc...

We have lived without running water and with limited electricity and it is challenging, yet life can still be enjoyable, if not more so.

On Sharon Astyk’s Ruminations on an Ambiguous Future site she encourages Victory Gardens. I have a montage on my susanshomespunlife blog entitled "Our Victory Garden" that not only shows photos of our first garden since moving to the country, but also describes the wonderful time my husband and I and our six children had living in a small cabin, in the winter with only wood heat and few modern conveniences.

I do believe that now is the time to practice self-reliance. This is why I, like you, have studied childbirth for many years and have used that research to enable me to give birth unassisted 4 times.

This is why I am writing my book and my spiritledbirth blog. I believe that people are being guided to birthing more autonomously and we need support in order to break the birthing traditions that have been established in this country.

I think there is a reason that the bible speaks of latter days this way, "But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people" Luke 21:23

"If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear." (joseph smith)

Women must know that like in any outdoor emergency situation, where fear is the main killer, so it will be during birth if our medical system is impaired, derailed, or collapsed and women cannot birth with the technology etc. that they are accustomed to, expect and rely on.

Now is the time to prepare and to begin changing our lifestyles...

P.S of course as followers of Christ, we should understand that the most important preparations are spiritual! Repent for the kingdom of God is at hand. Mark 1:9-18

No comments: